Intermediate Instant Lesson™
Answer these questions in pairs.
1. In your country what are some popular names for boys? What are some popular names for girls?
2. What are the differences in names for boys and girls in your country? Why do you think there are differences?
A: Reading For The Main Idea
Read Part One of today's article quickly. Complete this summary sentence.
Hurricanes with __________ names will kill more people than hurricanes with __________ names says a study done by the __________ at Urbana-Champaign.
Complete these sentences with information from Part One of today's article.
1. Hurricane Katrina would probably have killed fewer people if..._______________________________________.
2. People are more likely to evacuate from a storm with a masculine name because they think..._______________________________________.
3. Because of this belief, severe hurricanes with the most feminine names have caused..._______________________________________.
Answer these questions using Part Two of today's article.
1. When were storms first named? _______________________________________
2. Which names were the first storms given? _______________________________________
3. Why did this change? __________________________________________
4. How are storms named nowadays? _______________________________________
5. What happened in tests when a hurricane had a name that was neither strongly male or female? ____________________________
D: Thinking Carefully
Work alone or in pairs and answer these questions using information from the article and your own ideas.
1. According to today's article, is this belief about names true for all named storms?
2. How do you think the problem described in today's article could be solved?
3. How could marketers use the information in today's article to help sell their products?
E: Vocabulary Exercise
Look at these words from today's article. They are all connected with hurricanes. Work in pairs and make sentences to show their meanings. If you are unsure about a meaning, look back at the article to see if you can work out a word's meaning. You can also ask another student.
Work in pairs and answer these questions.
1. What is a gender stereotype?
2. Gender stereotypes are usually harmful. Discuss this statement.
3. How strongly do you think you are influenced by gender stereotypes?
B: Do An Experiment
Work in pairs. Think of an experiment you could do to test whether people associate certain qualities with names. Then try out your experiment.
A: Reading For The Main Idea - Answer
Hurricanes with girls' names will kill more people than hurricanes with boys' names says a study done by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
B: Completing Information - Sample Answers
1. Hurricane Katrina would probably have killed fewer people if it had instead had the masculine name of Kurt.
2. People are more likely to evacuate from a storm with a masculine name because they think it will be more dangerous than a storm with a feminine name.
3. Because of this belief, severe hurricanes with the most feminine names have caused five times more death than hurricanes with very masculine names.
C: Comprehension - Answers
1. Storms were first named in 1953., 2. Women's names., 3. 1979, 4. Male and female names are alternated., 5. Volunteers showed neither a strong tendency to evacuate or not evacuate - reaction was in the middle.
© 1997-2014 English To Go Limited. All rights reserved. English-To-Go, english-to-go.com, Instant Lessons, Instant Workbook, Weekly Warmer, Anna Grammar and Max Vocab are the registered trade marks of English To Go Limited. Other trademarks are the sole property of their respective owners and are used with permission.